Areas of Expertise
In her clinical practice, Dr. Smith treats various types of psychological problems and psychiatric conditions, including, but not limited to, depression, anxiety, and personality disorders. She specializes in the treatment of trauma, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and issues related to chronic medical illness.
She has extensive experience working with persons who are going through a wide range of emotional difficulties and significant life transitions, among them relational problems, divorce, parenting, immigration and acculturation, end-of-life concerns, and bereavement.
Dr. Smith has expertise working with persons who, while they are not experiencing significant emotional problems they are interested in furthering their personal growth and reaching their full potential through a deeper self-exploration. Some of the areas often addressed in these explorations relate to creativity, career, and artistic development.
Dr. Smith can help you with:
- Depression and other Mood Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders (social fears, excessive health worries, obsessive-compulsive thoughts, panic attacks, etc.)
- Traumatic life events & Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Personality Disorders
- Low self-esteem, self-concept, and body-image issues
- Excessive concerns with physical appearance and specific body parts
- Difficulties expressing emotions and communicating with others
- Relationship conflicts with family members, friends, and work peers
- Problems dealing with and expressing anger appropriately
- Marital distress, including issues of trust and infidelity
- Post-divorce adaptation
- Academic challenges (inattention and learning disabilities)
- Career development and other significant changes over the life-span
- Acculturation difficulties after immigration
- Mid-Life transition and adjustment to aging
- Coping with and adapting to chronic medical illness
- End-of-life concerns and bereavement